Monday 14 January 2013

French celeriac "remoulade"- the healthier way



I was testing a celeriac soup recipe for one of my next classes at Divertimenti in London when I was left with half a celeriac unused. This is the sort of thing that gets my creative juices going as I just feel so free to do anything I want, and only if I want. No pressure to create something for a class or for guests, this is completely up to me to make anything or not, and I feel totally free to make something that I want, and no one else needs to want or like it! This is often how the best ideas come and the most satisfactory creations appear in my kitchen! So in the end I thought I would share it with you...

Celeriac is very much used in France and the "remoulade" is a dish that is as old as the oldest stones if the country probably (although I have not verified that fact...). It is a very simple salad made of grated celeriac, a very mustardy mayonnaise. This is THE tip, as all the teachers at cookery school repeat "il faut mettre beaucoup de moutarde!", in other words put a lot of mustard. 
The only thing is I don't like mayonnaise, I don't like that there is egg and so much oil in it. 
So I came up with this option: using yogurt.
This not only healthier (in that case it means not as fat) but a lot quicker and easier! 
As I don't eat much dairy, I used soy yogurt but feel free to use normal yogurt. 
Enjoy this lovely wintery salad, let me know how it goes and I'll be back with more creations soon... 


Celeriac Remoulade

- 1/2 Celeriac (about 400g)
- 1/2 Lemon juice
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 5 Tbsp Soy yogurt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Black pepper

Peel and grate the celeriac. Put it in a salad bowl and pour the lemon juice over, some sea salt and mix well. The lemon juice will prevent the celeriac to go brown so don't miss that step!

To make the dressing simply mix the yogurt with the mustard, olive oil, salt and pepper. 
Pour the dressing over the celeriac and mix well.
Et voila, c'est prêt!

Bon appétit!


No comments:

Post a Comment